It’s official: I signed up (read: paid) for a half marathon! It’s part of the Milwaukee Running Festival and will take place November 1. And the date seems closer than anything else.
There are a lot of negative thoughts constantly plaguing my mind about this:
- I’m terrified
- How crazy am I?!
- Why do I think I can run 13.1 miles in one go?
- What’s the mileage on tomorrow’s run?
- Am I training right?
- Do I need new shoes?
- What if I can’t finish?
But also some positive ones:
- I love a good challenge
- My body is capable of amazing things
- Each run makes me feel stronger and more alive
- My training plan is solid
- I am filled with motivation – internal and external (thanks, Chris!)
- I’m going to feel amazing crossing that finish line
- It’s so gorgeous outside, I picked the right time to train
- I am quickly making running friends to help me along the way
Really though, I’m excited to conquer this next milestone and look forward to both the journey of training, and the experience of running! Please leave any advice you might have for me in the comments 🙂
Oh, and a recipe! Right, this is a crazy good smoothie. It’s perfect for post-workout refueling, especially when you want something cold and refreshing. The flavor is completely that of a creamsicle, but with the surprise ingredient of avocado for a healthy dose of fats with the protein powder. It’s delicious and easy, just the meal you need after a run!
Orange Creamsicle Avocado Protein Smoothie
- 1/2 C orange juice
- 1/2 nondairy milk or skim milk
- 1 serving vanilla protein powder
- 1/3 C cubed avocado (about half a small one, or 1/4 a big one)
- 5 ice cubes
Blend all ingredients together until completely smooth. Pour into your favorite big glass and enjoy! You earned it 🙂
Here’s an exhausted post-running selfie for your enjoyment. This was after an hour+ of yoga AND a 4 mile run!